PTA Home Reading Program
We are excited to kick off another year of our Bookaneer Reading Program. The theme this year is:
This is a school-wide incentive program to help motivate students to read and learn to love reading!
PTA Home Reading Calendars
How it Works:
- Students are asked to read every night throughout the whole school year.
- Students will be given a calendar each month to record their reading minutes.
- At the end of each month, students will total their reading minutes on their calendars, have a parent sign the calendar, and turn it into their teacher.
- Students will receive monthly prizes if they turn in their calendar AND reach the monthly goal.
Students can count any out of school reading on their calendars. Younger children that are learning to read or students needing help may count minutes listening to someone else read or following along with an audio book. It is a great time for older siblings to read out loud to their younger brother or sister, and it will count towards their reading minutes, too.
The reading program was introduced so that all students, no matter the age, grade, or class had the same reading expectations. Reading is so important and students will be more successful if they learn to read and consistently do it! The PTA gets sponsors to help with rewards and activities to go along with this program. Below is an explanation of how the prize portion of the program works:
Prizes and Activities:
- In order to receive a prize each month, students must turn in a calendar AND reach the monthly goal. GOAL: 20 minutes per day, 5 days a week. Most months this will add up to 400 minutes, but there will be three months this year that have an extra week so the goal will be set at 500 minutes. the monthly goal will be in the top corner of each reading calendar.
- Students who do not reach the goal required for a prize will still earn that prize by reading the next month and catching up. Students will earn missed prizes as their total minutes are added each month.
- Students can read extra minutes! We would love this, but students who read ahead ill not earn monthly prizes early.
- Each student will receive a free “Read like a Bookaneer” t-shirt when he/she reaches 2,000 minutes.
- We will be having an activity after we reach 1 MILLION minutes as a school. Students who have turned in calendars and are caught up with the reading goal to that point in the year will be allowed to attend.
- The grand prize at the end of the year for reaching 2 MILLION minutes will be our “FOAM PARTY!” Students who average the 20 minutes per day, 5 days a week will have read 3,500 minutes and will be invited to attend.
Thank you for helping make this a great program. We appreciate all the support we receive, especially from the parents and our sponsors.
Read! Keep track of calendars! Read! Count minutes! Read! Record minutes! Read! Encourage! Read!